Jobs & Internships
Current Job Openings & Internship Opportunities
Position Announcement: Part-time Educator
Part Time (Variable Hours) Position Application Deadline: August 8, 2014
Reports to Director of Education
The Plains Conservation Center (PCC) helps people find their roots in the grasslands – to feel more connected to themselves, their community, and to nature. PCC’s main site in east Aurora includes a 1,000-acre short-grass prairie natural area, an 1837 replica Cheyenne Camp and the 1887 replica Wells Crossing community including homestead soddies, farm, one room schoolhouse and blacksmith workshop. The PCC gives programs to over 8,000 school children and sees over 18,000 visitors a year.
Position Summary: We are seeking dynamic part-time educators to join our team. The ideal candidates will demonstrate outstanding educational and interpretive skills for audiences of all ages. This is a year-round, as-needed position. Weekly hours vary and are determined by the organization’s program and project needs.
Essential Job Functions
- Present environmental education programs on a variety of natural and cultural history topics for elementary school groups and other age groups. These programs include 2 – 3.5 hour field trips on weekdays and overnight programming on weekday nights.
- Present evening, weekend and overnight programs for scouts. Scout overnights are typically on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Work collaboratively with adult and teen volunteers.
- Assist with interpretive projects, special events and maintenance of interpretive facilities and materials as needed.
- Ensure scientific and historical accuracy, quality and consistency of all programs and materials through collaboration with staff, volunteers and the Director of Education.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience leading environmental and/or cultural history programs for children and adults.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, interpretation, natural resources or related field preferred.
- Experience in working collaboratively with volunteers is preferred.
- CPR and First Aid certification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to make group presentations in fluent English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact appropriately with visitors, staff and volunteers.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with PCC staff and volunteers.
- Willingness and ability to be trained in new areas of work as assigned.
- Work occasional evenings, overnights, and weekends as scheduled.
- Ability to safely handle captive education animals for programs (i.e. non-venomous snakes, turtles, salamander). Handler training is provided.
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Stand and walk over uneven terrain for most of the workday.
- Exposure to the natural hazards and hardships associated with life on the plains.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license required by date of hire.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and maintain a driving record acceptable to PCC’s insurer.
- A full criminal background check will be performed upon selection.
Some evening, overnight and weekend work is required. This is a year-round variable hour position. Our busiest programming months are April, May, September and October. These months may require up to 20 hours per week with overnight programs on weekday nights. It is anticipated that hours during from December to March will be sharply reduced.
Compensation & Benefits: $12 per hour
Employee is not eligible for holiday pay, sick leave or personal leave accrual, but is eligible for benefits required by law, such as Social Security and workers’ compensation.
To apply submit cover letter & resume to:
Susan Smith, Director of Education
Plains Conservation Center
21901 E. Hampden Ave.
Aurora, CO 80013